Re: IP changes in 2.3.4x make things wierd?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 14:29:15 EST

   From: crosser@average.org (Eugene Crosser)
   Date: 20 Feb 2000 13:17:32 +0300

   At some moment between 2.3.40 and 2.3.45 something changed in the
   IP logic apparently. My system is Glibc2 based, it is non-networked
   most of the time, so I do not run network-related daemons like
   portmapper. When I first booted 2.3.45, I noticed that all operations
   that require resolver slowed to a crawl. I did investigation and
   found that glibc resolver, among other things, is trying to query
   the portmapper at localhost.

Turn off NIS and non-file hostname lookups in /etc/nsswitch.conf

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com