Re: 2.3.4x softnet watchdog and (isdn) demand dialing

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 14:19:26 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > One thing we could do is export the dev_watchdog_up() and
> > dev_watchdog_down() functions from net/sched/sch_generic.c
> > and allow you to call them.
>
> irda and some wan devices also need this. I would prefer we hid the details.
> How about allowing adding to the netif macros so there is a way to say
> both stop and pause. Unfortunately stop seems to have been used for pause 8(
>
> netif_suspend_queue(dev)
> netif_resume_queue(dev)
>
> and hide the watchdog in the nice softnet API
>
> ??

FWIW davem added this in a 2.3.47 pre-patch, as

        netif_device_detach(), and
        netif_device_attach()

The plan is to have these do a dev_watchdog_{up,down} in addition to
what they current do in the pre-patches.

--
Jeff Garzik         | I never vote for anyone.
Building 1024       | I always vote against.