Result of testing 2.2.14 kernel on Compaq with mem=23M

From: Frank Krauss (fmfkrauss@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 13:21:20 EST

Alan Cox,

Thank you again for responding to me so quickly.

Firstly, concerning your previous question about my "cache tag ram".
I talked to a Compaq Engineer and he said he had never heard of this term.
If the term ment what Cache is on the CPU, he said that there was 256K of
Cache on the Motherboard to support up to 64 MB of Ram.

Secondly, to give you some additional information, since some person thought
that this was possibly my problem, the Video Card that I'm using, which
came with the P.C., is a Compaq QVision 1024/E Video card. Again, I talked
with a Compaq Engineer about the possible use of Ram by this card and he
said that this card has 1 MB of its own storage on the card and does not use
any Ram.

Lastly, conserning the results of testing using append = mem=23M.
It came up as usual. I was able to issue DF and FREE commands. Someone
suggested that the /proc/meminfo data would be useful to see so I have
listed it here.

/proc/meminfo
        total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 22441984 9842688 12599296 8114176 557056 4538368
Swap: 16965632 0 16965632
MemTotal: 21916 kB
MemFree: 12304 kB
MemShared: 7924 kB
Buffers: 544 kB
Cached: 4432 kB
SwapTotal: 16568 kB
SwapFree: 16568 kB

When I issued a LS -L command, i got a listing of each file followed by the
words -filename too long-. I then got the Segmentation fault mesage, as usual,
followed by the "login: no shell. no such file or directory." message.

When I attempted to shutdown and reboot using the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys, the
system did the Shutdown up to the "Unmounting file systems" message.

I then got about (10) sets of the following messages
EXT2-fs error (device hd(3,1)): ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
   datazone - block=number, count=1
followed by the Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic .... message.

I also got in the /var/log/messages file during this test multiple sets of
the following messages:

kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
kernel: 03:01: rw=0, want=737868858, limit=512142
kernel: dev 03:01 blksize=1024 blocknr=-1409614791 sector=1475737714 size=1024 count=1

After turning off and back on the P.C. I lost a number of Files from the System.They gave me messages at Boot time but I didn't have a chance to write them
down because they scrolled off the Screen. They did not go into the
lost+found directory.

I hope that this information is useful to you in debugging this problem.

Yours truly,

Frank Krauss
fmfkrauss@mindspring.com