Re: Userland encrypted filesystem that root cannot access.

From: Sandy Harris (sandy@storm.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 22:16:11 EST

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> >Consider it another measure in line with the C2 rating of Linux:
> >
> >Linux is at C2 of the orange book ratings. This means that accidental
> >access to protected information is blocked.
>
> Linux is rated C2? Surely you jest! I'm sure that it is heading
> for the day when it would meet C2, but I doubt it does right now.
>
> The reference I have on C2 (not authoritative however) says ...

The authoritative reference is at:

http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/rainbow/5200.28-STD.html#HDR2.1.1

My reading is that:

For C1 we'd need only documentation and test program development; all
the basic mechanisms are in place. Most of the required documentation
exists too; it would just need to be pulled together in their format.

For C2 we'd need quite a lot of work. Extensive security auditing, dump
things that cannot pass, add some patches and perhaps some utilities,
and do a lot more documentation and testing.

Probably only a major distribution vendor could do this. You'd need to
control what goes into a distribution (no un-audited stuff) and you'd
need considerable resources.

For the B levels we'd need some basic re-design.

But the Rainbow Series of books are being superceded by the Common
Criteria:

http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/ccitse/index.html