Re: devfs howto

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 16:04:31 EST

In <38AEF6E5.343B13FD@mandrakesoft.com> Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com) wrote:
JG> Khimenko Victor wrote:
>>
>> In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10002191345460.283-100000@solvent> iehrenwald@earthlink.net (iehrenwald@earthlink.net) wrote:
>> > Is there a devfs HOWTO somewhere? The README that is in
>> > linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs is terrible, IMO. It doesn't
>> > actually give any examples for you to follow.
>>
>> Just compile kernel with devfs, add
>> append="root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partXX"

JG> I love devfs but have no stomach for typing
JG> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
JG> when instead I could type
JG> /dev/hda5

Hmm ?? In "append" line you have no choice AFAIK.

JG> Also, I switch back into 2.2 all the time, so updating /etc/fstab for
JG> devfs is a PITA.

Ok. You can have two fstab's or you can change /dev under "normal" kernel.
devfsd is only one choice and IMNSHO is WRONG choice. But YMMV, of course.

JG> Thus... devfsd. Put it really early in your boot process (I put it in
JG> rc.sysinit), and it will take care of all those old data files which
JG> haven't been converted over to devfs yet.

I'd not had this beast at all if I do not need "autoload on demand" fature.
It's sad that it was removed from late versions of devfs :-(( Now I need
one more daemon.