Re: P autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 15:07:30 EST

ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

> FWIW, I just want to add plea favor of having some form of bootp support
> in kernel.
>
> It has saved me many times and it is hell of easier than initrd. I have
> done initrd only one time when I wanted to net boot a laptop and I needed
> pcmcia. However since nowdays pcmcia is in kernel, I probably would not
> need it anymore.

It sounds to me like you want bootp support in the kernel because the
mkinitrd script is
not easy to use. Solvable problem, not necessarily a kernel problem
though...

I just sent a patch into Linus which fixes IP autoconfig, but Alan sez
"it has-got-to-go" (with elaboration) so I don't think your plea is
going to get farther than 2.4.x. :)

--
Jeff Garzik         | I never vote for anyone.
Building 1024       | I always vote against.