Re: [FIX] 8390.c broken in 2.3.43+

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 13:24:17 EST

Hi Alan.

>> With the new networking changes, a bad assumption about the xcvr
>> will not lead one into that "sanity-checking" timeout loop,
>> since "test_bit(LINK_STATE_XOFF, &dev->state)" happily stays at
>> 0 and that code is never executed. Explicitly setting the xcvr
>> to 1 as a module option was the fix! And while at it, one may
>> as well set the "io=" option explicitly as well... :)

> You found a bug in the 3c503 driver yes. The softnet stuff has
> broken the transceiver changing stuff

On the subject of the 3c503...

Yesterday, I took delivery of a second hand PC to set up with Linux
for a friend, and it includes a 3c503 network card that's id'd as
being at address 0x330 if I `modprobe eth0` on it. However, there's no
interrupt showing for the said card at any time - I'm not sure whether
that's relevant or not.

This may also be relevant, so I'll mention it: The box in question has
8x1m 30-pin SIM's occupying the 8 slots on the motherboard, so has a
grand total of 8M of RAM with no realistic possibility of expansion.
It's also a non-standard motherboard, which doesn't help. As a result
of the limited RAM, I was forced to install RedHat 5.2 rather than the
preferred 6.1 (that's what the customer asked for) as the RH6.1
install runs out of memory with less than 11M of RAM present.

I'm now upgrading to RH6.1 by the only method that appears to work,
namely going to the RH6.1 RPMS directory and doing `rpm -Fvh *.rpm` on
it, and I have managed to upgrade the kernel to the 2.2.12-20 RPM, as
well as most of the remainder of the system.

However, with the resulting system, the 3c503 driver refuses to load
on startup, with the result that the network interface never comes
up. I've tried everything I can think of to bring it up automatically
during system boot (including adding `modprobe eth0` at the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local) without success. The ONLY successful method I've
found is to wait until system boot finishes, then log in as root and
type `modprobe eth0` at that point, which works fine.

Can somebody PLEASE halp me sort this out, as the intended use of the
machine requires the network to come up automatically without user
intervention!

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.