Re: 2.3.46 Boot Failure

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 11:59:33 EST

Gerard Roudier wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Peter Rival wrote:
>
> > Hi guys (again),
> >
> > In the unending saga of attempting large-memory configuration boot
> > under the 2.3 series, this next installment also blows up quite nicely.
> > At the very least, the sym53c8xx driver needs to be merged in from the
> > vger CVS tree (I tried an older one from about four days ago and that
> > did not work correctly either). It appears that the qlogic driver is
> > mostly working, but not well enough.
>
> It is fine to be impatient. I have been impatient for about 6 months about
> a fix for the alpha __delay()/__udelay() stuff that can be 200% wrong due
> to inlining and that notably breaks the SCSI clock speed measurement by
> ncr/sym53c8xx at initialisation. This stuff does not seem to have been
> fixed in all still alive linux branches (I mean 2.0/2.2/2.3).
>
> David S. Miller and I are currently working on the driver changes for the
> new scsi/pci/dma interface in 2.3. I am impatient to have statisfying
> driver changes that I will want to be made available, even if I donnot
> personally use alpha machines.

<wink> Would you like to? ;)

> By the way, Pamela Delaney (from LSILOGIC) and I (from home:)) would be
> glad to hear DEC/COMPAQ ingenieers about the status of the
> __delay()/__udelay() stuff for alpha in Linuxes. For now, Pamela has to
> send a band-aiding patch to linux-alpha user each time she recieves a
> report for the known ncr/sym53c8xx driver problem caused by the 200% error
> range of udelay() on alpha. And it is time waste each time since months.
> Thanks in advance.

This still isn't fixed?? We had a fix in hand _months_ ago. That's the only
way that we could get an EV6 system with a SYM adapter (like almost all of the
ones that Compaq sells) to work correctly. I don't know who dropped it or how
it got dropped, but I know that Jay had a kernel with a work-around at about
the same time as RH shipped 6.0. I believe the fix Andrea pointed to is
correct - if we're still seeing those problems, we should make sure this is
merged into the base code.

 - Pete