Re: 2.3.46 Boot Failure

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 09:50:27 EST

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Gerard Roudier wrote:

>ncr/sym53c8xx at initialisation. This stuff does not seem to have been
>fixed in all still alive linux branches (I mean 2.0/2.2/2.3).

The fix is around but I didn't thought it was so critical. Jay did the
fix. I included it into the 2.2.xaax patches but it was not ok with module
symbols (assembler stuff) and so I took it out meanwhile it got fixed
(maybe I understimated its importance?).

Anyway here sym8xxx and ncr8xxx works like a charm on my alpha on both
2.3.47pre6, all the previous 2.3.x and 2.2.14 without need of any
additional patch.

>David S. Miller and I are currently working on the driver changes for the
>new scsi/pci/dma interface in 2.3. I am impatient to have statisfying

It just works fine here on dp264/tsunami platform (21264 cpu) SMP and less
than 2giga of ram. If other chips have problems with such driver I really
don't know but I just want to say that it's not badly broken but it's very
rock solid on my alpha instead.

>glad to hear DEC/COMPAQ ingenieers about the status of the
>__delay()/__udelay() stuff for alpha in Linuxes. For now, Pamela has to

There's just an attempt to fix it. It's a patch from Jay Estabrook, I have
uploaded it here but I don't need it with my hardware:

        ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.2/2.2.14/alpha_delay-fix_jay-2.2.14.gz

Maybe Jay can add some comment about this. The patch is strightforward, it
make sure that the udelay code is allocated in a misaligned address.

Andrea