Re: spin lock contention: lru_list lock

From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@norran.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 08:59:31 EST

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:53:14 +0100
> From: Manfred Spraul <manfreds@colorfullife.com>
>
> I get extremely long hold times for the lru_list lock:
>
> sync_buffers(): up to 14 milliseconds, average 12 milliseconds. [called
> 10 times per second.]
> __invalidate_buffers(): up to 8 milliseconds, average 7 milliseconds.[
> called ~4.5 times/sec]
>
> A lock can be held for 2 minutes at a time, this isn't what matters.

It does matter.
Since all the time you are holding the lock you remain in kernel.
All the time you remain in kernel prevents schedules, even if an
interrupt
awakes a process with higher priority.
To get working multimedia (like audio) any code executing in kernel for
more than a few microseconds may give you problems.

Ingo Molnar has prepared some patches that helps. (Nothing released
for 2.3 yet)

For the more about this story check:
  http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio

/RogerL