Re: Tracking down a bug

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 06:35:00 EST

Orion Henry <orion@worldsite.com> said:
> My linux box has been crashing quite a lot
> as of late. Where I am used to one or two a year
> I have been getting 3 or 4 a week.

Check your hardware. Any other strange stuff happening, like unexplained
core files?

Look for memtest86 (f.ex. on http://www.freshmeaty.net), it is a thorough
RAM tester. Or compile a lot of stuff, compiler crashes are usually signs
of bad RAM.

Run badblocks(8), it will check if your disk is OK. Run fsck(8) to check
the data on disk is OK (in format at least).

If your package management system allows you to check the integrity of what
you have installed (rpm does), use that. Maybe something got messed up on
the disk.

Good luck!

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616