Re: Of removable devices

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 16:09:37 EST

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 02:48:16PM +0100, David Balazic wrote:

> > > At the same time - the fix is hardware, the PC isnt fixable for this the
> > > CD-ROM drives are. The 2.2.x supermount stuff does that bit right
> >
> > Exactly. As far as there are no automatic gear for floppies you can not
> > avoid manual unmount if you want reliable work.
>
> But you CAN ,as at least AmigaOS proves.
>
> If you didn't understand it at first, I'll repeat it :
> IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!

Yes, but AmigaOS didn't do it on PC hardware. They did use the same
floppies PC does, but a different controller. PC floppy controller
updates the disk change flag only after stepping the head. If you don't
want to step the head constantly (and also spin the motor all the time),
you can't check for floppy insertion/removal easily.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs