Re: Userland encrypted filesystem that root cannot access.

From: Craig B Agricola (agricolc@btv.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 09:32:00 EST

Mike,
    The general answer to this, at least from the perspective of a
paranoid user, is that it is not possible in a UNIX environment to
achieve this. Since a the data structures for the mounted filesystem,
as well as any cached data, are in memory, and since root can access
memory freely, you'll never be able to keep a secret from root. Of
course, this would take effort on root's part to build an image of the
mounted disk from the data as it passes through memory, but it is
still not "secure". I don't want to answer this as though I have an
authoritative answer though, since I haven't yet gotten a chance to fully
grok the capabilities system, which may allow you to do something like
this, but...

 -Craig

--
 Craig B. Agricola    W: (802) 769-4636