Re: IP autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 11:50:45 EST

Alexander S A Kjeldaas wrote:

> Automatic IP config using bootp doesn't work in 2.3.46. The IP-Config
> code is called before PCI network cards are initialized. From the boot
> message:

> FDC 0 is a post-191 82077
> IP-Config: Entered.
> IP-Config: No network devices available.
> 3c59x.c:v099H+lk1.0 Feb 9,2000 The Linux Kernel Team http:......
> eepro100.c:v1.09j+LK1.0 ......
> eth0: Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro100 at ....

I broke this, and I can fix it.

But... per a discussion a month ago or so, people made the point that
this stuff can be better done in userspace.

Can we take IP autoconfig out of the kernel?

You should be able to accomplish the same thing with dhcpcd, bootp,
pump, etc.

--
Jeff Garzik         | Writing software is
Building 1024       | more fun than working.