Re: IP autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 12:06:52 EST

   Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:02:49 -0800 (PST)
   From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

   On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> But... per a discussion a month ago or so, people made the point that
> this stuff can be better done in userspace.

   I'd rather have a kernel that can easily bring up a full system, if it's
   not too much bother, and if it doesn't cause ugly design issues (ie it's
   ok to have _local_ ugliness that doesn't spread to be a global mess, and I
   think local ugliness is worth it if it means that you don't need tons of
   infrastructure).

   Everybody always points to initrd, and it's wonderful for the generic
   case, but let's face it - it's not very simple and convenient.

I would really like to see IP autoconfig repaired myself.

Jeff, could you please do it? Thanks a lot.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com