Re: TCP bug? hanging outgoing connections in 2.2.14

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 08:52:23 EST

> Really horrible stuff... horribly flaky right now (well, the ones
> we've tested anyhow). If it really matters, I can get tcpdumps of
> what these phones do, but I would be really surprised if their window
> size was terribly large...

The phones talk a simple protocol over UDP. Gateway boxes do any translation
to internet links. In fact it need not even be UDP based, WAP is specified
over stuff like GSM too.

WAP is a temporary bridging technology at best - the recent patent fiasco with
it making it doubly so. After that yes - we can expect to see phones with
interesting tcp stacks, just pray they all run BSD or Linux based stacks 8)

Alan