Re: Of removable devices

From: David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 08:41:42 EST

Jesse Pollard wrote :
> Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>:
> >RW> Which user's screen should that dialogue appear on?
> >
> >The one "close" to the floppy, of course. Associate consoles and devices.
> >If a network user is accessing the floppy sitting next to my keyboard and I
> >\ull the floppy out, I should be the one to get the notice. If I have two
> >complete heads sitting on a machine and a USB floppy sitting there next to
> >:1, then the user logged into :1 should get the notice if they pull the
> >floppy.
> >
> >I'm sure the person inventive enough to work out the infrastructure for
> >having the kernel alert a userspace notification daemon would be smart
> >enough to allow for a device->console mapping.
>
> And who gets the notice if no one is there? or no one is logged in?

<sarcasm>
The pope !
</sarcasm>

The one that ejected the medium , obviously.
 echo "Put that back in , son !" > /dev/console

satisfied ?

Or just make the drive "buzz" like I described in my other mail.
( by turning the motor on and off , and moving the head around )

--
David I-would-write-a-patch-if-a-had-the-time Balazic