ide-scsi with more than 1 cdrom

From: Ron Flory (ron.flory@adtran.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 17:28:46 EST

hi-

 I have a 2.2.14 system using ide-scsi emulation. I also have a real
scsi controller (adaptec 29xx), but all my cdroms are ATAPI, hence they
show up as being connected to the second scsi interface. Both cdroms
are on the secondary IDE channel, one is plain cdrom, the other is
CD-RW. the two IDE hard drives are on the primary IDE I/F.

 This is all fine and good. However since the 2.0.3x days, trying to
use both ATAPI cdroms at the same times usually results in total system
lockup. My question is this: Even though ATAPI may or may not support
disconnection (ala scsi), should I be able to read from (or write-to) a
cdrom while reading from the other, without worrying about the certain
crash, reset, and fsck that follows ?

  -just something thats been bugging me for awhile-

ron