IP option timestamp on SOCK_RAW.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 01:11:47 EST

Does someone have sample code, or can they explain in detail
(privately) how to set a specific timestamp value on an outgoing
IP packet on a socket opened with SOCK_RAW?

I've read the manpages for socket,setsockopt,ip, as well as
RFC791, headers /usr/include/netinet/i{n,p}.h, bits/in.h, and
various other headers. I searched manpages with apropos, and I
viewed all online docs I could locate with gnu info on all
involved function calls. I've looked through the source of
various SOCK_RAW programs like ping, etc.. and found nothing at
all to help.

I cracked down and decided to "use the source luke" so I cd's
into /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 and read raw.c, followed the
function call through to ip_sockglue.c, ip_options.c, and here is
where I am totally lost with respect to following what is going
on. I just want some sample userland code which allows me to set
an Internet timestamp in the IP options field in the header. I
want to set this timestamp to a specific value.

Any help, source code, or pointers to either would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org