Re: URL to the latest /proc/driver/microcode

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 23:41:22 EST

[Bill Wendling <wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu>]
> +static struct file_operations microcode_fops = {
> + write: microcode_write,
> + open: microcode_open,
> + release: microcode_release,
> +};
>
> I'm guessing the above is a gcc extension to C of initializing a few
> members of a structure? It's slightly confusing, but a stylistic choice.
> (If it's standard C, I've never come across it before).

Right, it's a gcc extension. (ISO rather recently came up with
different syntax -- which I can't remember exactly except that IMHO
it's ugly -- to do the same thing. They couldn't just use gcc syntax,
could they? Nooooo....) I guess it kind of goes without saying that
the missing fields always get nulls.

The advantages of initializing structures this way are obvious:
increased source compatibility when fields are added/removed/moved, and
readability (no need for a comment for each member).

Peter