Re: char/Serial.c

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 02:34:14 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Uncle George wrote:

>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:16:02 -0500
>From: Uncle George <gatgul@voicenet.com>
>To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>Subject: char/Serial.c
>
>Apparently my ttyS1 had an IRQ if 5 ( rather than the usual setting of
>IRQ 3 ). It seems that the serial driver does not really detect the IRQ
>settings at all . Without the proper IRQ settings, the port simply times
>out, and does the next chunk of chars. Very slow, and chunks/fifo fills
>are also not (always) in multiples of 16.
>
>My IRQ settings for ttyS2 & ttyS3 are not what serial.c expects as 4 & 3
>respectively ( i use 5 & 9 ), but the log in var/log/messages say thet
>they were detected/set as 4 & 3.
>
>This failure to detect the port IRQ's seems to be a boo boo. Do I get to
>annoy the last serial.c maintainer ( if there is still one )

The stock 2.2.x kernels have an autoconfigure serial IRQ option
and it works fantastic on every machine I've used it on. My
modem serial ports are usually on IRQ 2/9 or 11 or some other
oddie, and it ALWAYS works... YMMV.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org