Re: ac97_codec (bugs in 2.3.44 on)

From: Ollie Lho (ollie@sis.com.tw)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 22:09:14 EST

"James Turinsky (LKML)" wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> Could we please make sure a working ac97_codec gets put in the patches for
> 2.3.47? It seems to me his patch to 2.3.45 didn't make it into 2.3.46, thus
> causing all sorts of problems wrt mixers.

The correct (I hope) bug fix is in p2.3.47-pre3, so there wont be any problem
when 2.3.47 is out.

> Also, Mr. Lho, other hackers, I did note some problems with sound after
> that, though I don't know if they were related to X11/Gnome/XMMS or not. I
> was playing MP3's with XMMS in IceWM/Gnome and sound events were turned on.
> When I would go to open something or try to restore a minimized app, nothing
> would happen until I killed/shut XMMS. Is this a driver problem?

It seems that ess1371 does not support mulitple open such that only one
application can use audio device.

> One other thing I'd like to note is that with my card (es1371), at least
> under that Microsoft OS for normal consumers, you can fool with the Registry
> and add tone (bass/treble) controls. (SB PCI64D (latest driver calls it a
> 128D)). I Am Not A Coder, but I did see some stuff for tone in the
> appropriate drivers. Is there support for tone controls, and if so, where
> is it/what mixer applet handles it/etc? I'll be happy to test if someone
> can help me out by telling me what I need to do.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> JT

The tone (bass/treble) thing is controlled by ac97 codec. If your ac97 codec
does not support this (usually), you are out of luck.

Ollie