Re: ISSUE: Unable to handle kernel paging... Kernel 2.2.14 on COMPAQ with 24Mb

From: Frank Krauss (fmfkrauss@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 17:00:31 EST

Alan Cox,

Thank you again for responding so fast to my answer to you.

I don't know what the phrase "extra cache tag ram" means.

The specifications for this Computer say that it can support up to 64 Mb.

If I bring up a Windows 3.1 System, it recognizes all the 24 Mb so I believe
that the new storage is O.K.

The fact that at Boot time I see the message 24576 KB OK is because that is the
way a Compaq machine works. It runs through the Storage and finally shows the
total amount it found.

In order to prove to both of our satisfactions that the new Storage is O.K., I
took another SIMM of 8Mb that I had purchased from the same Company, which I
was going to use to bring my System up to 32Mb later on and I switched it with
the first new one. When I came up with it, when I attempted to do a VI command
I got a Segmentation Fault, like I did before. Likewise, when I did a Find
command, I got the following messages:
   EXT2-fs error (device hd(3,1)); ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #27051:
      rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=65232550, rec_len=60249, name_len=230

Again, I believe that there must be some serious problem in the Storage
Management part of the Kernel.

Would you know of anyone in the Linux Community who would have the ability to
debug this problem with me? I will naturally make myself available to do
everything in my power to assist the person in solving this problem.

Any information that you could give me to point to the correct person with the
needed knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking time to look at my problem.

Yours truly,

Frank Krauss
fmfkrauss@mindspring.com