Re: mm or tlan: Couldn't allocate memory for received data.

From: Jorgen Skjaanes (jorgen@gulesider.no)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 20:40:04 EST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> If you'd like, I can extract ikd (large) and send it so you can try
> memleak. It can give you allocation when/where data.

Thanks, I applied it and it was very interesting.
It looks like line 477 in net/packet/af_packet.c is allocating
like crazy without much being freed.

First: when the "TLAN: Couldn't allocate memory for received data"
messages come and I after a while pull the network cable and
thereby stop the tlan-messages, the system is still useless. A simple
cat command still gives bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory for as long
as 10 minutes after I pulled the plug. It sure looks like a mm/slab-freeing
bug to me. It's not like I'm all out of memory at all. And after a while
the system comes back to live again with saner slabinfo and memleak
numbers.

Here's the last top-memleak numbers I logged right before the system
went back to normal:

14553: af_packet.c:477
 6339: buffer.c:1105
 5656: tlan.c:1196
 4771: memory.c:1004
 2295: filemap.c:538
 2120: af_unix.c:1240

(the first number being the allocation count).

An hour earlyer when the tlan-messages first occured it looked
like this:

 6242: memory.c:1004
 3688: buffer.c:1105
 3410: af_packet.c:477
 3239: filemap.c:538
 1514: tlan.c:1196
 1457: mmap.c:242

and 7 minutes before that again the top leak-numbers was (quite normal):

6431: memory.c:1004
4638: buffer.c:1105
2658: filemap.c:538
1520: mmap.c:242
1081: file_table.c:82
 926: dcache.c:438
 881: filemap.c:1797
 820: memory.c:782
 762: filemap.c:1351
 701: af_packet.c:477

As allways, I can apply debug-patches and/or provide more info on
request.

--
Jorgen