Re: Of removable devices

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 17:51:37 EST

Hi David.

>>> On a real operating system, the OS would simply notify userland,
>>> which would do whatever it wanted to do.

>> Fair enough so far. It's from here on that things go wrong.

>>> A sensible userland might then spit out a dialog telling the
>>> user...

>> Which user's screen should that dialogue appear on?

> Who cares?

{Shrug} If you don't care about kernel issues, you shouldn't be here.

> It's a >>USERLAND PROBLEM<< and once the notify gets out of
> kernelspace it's not a lkml problem anymore.

I'm sure you'll have no problem writing the userland daemon to do this
then, so the people writing the kernel side of the equation know
exactly what it requires of them when they do their job...

Personally, I can't see any point in writing a single line of kernel
code to address this issue until such time as a reasonably working
daemon exists that does its side of the job, and as you don't see any
point in writing the two in parallel...

Best wishes from Riley.