Using the sound mixer from within the kernel.

From: Gordon, Brian (NM75) (brian.gordon@honeywell.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 15:15:18 EST

Greetings,

  I am getting my feet wet with kernel modifications.

  I decided to modify the keyboard.c driver to add Volume_Up, Volume_Down
handlers (similiar to Incr_Console, Decr_Console).

  I modified loadkeys to allow it to hook into my new keyboard.c handlers.
(The Windows Left, Windows Right and Menu keys are being used.)

  I know that the handlers are working, I am logging messages to the
/var/log/messages whenever the keys are pressed.

  THE QUESTION:
  I don't believe the mixer is initialized, I can't do an open("/dev/mixer")
from within the kernel. How do I program the mixer from kernel space?
(Using ioctls?) Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I am not subscribed to the kernel mailing list.

Brian W. Gordon
Honeywell
Defense Avionics Systems
brian.gordon@honeywell.com <mailto:brian.gordon@honeywell.com>