Re: Kernel developers

From: Joshua Uziel (uzi@linuxcare.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:46:33 EST

* Petko Manolov <petkan@spct.net> [000217 10:21]:
> But there is something true in Mathias statement.
> It is very hard to follow whole kernel updates.
> Too few people feels responsible to document what they
> change. I'm writing kernel code from 1996 and there is
> no big difference since then. I spend most of my time
> find-ing and grep-ing .../linux directory. I think
> Linus has a hard job ;-)

If you do a lot of "find-ing and grep-ing", you might want to
try some Perl scripts I wrote which make this much easier (and
more efficient). Snarf it from:

http://linux.ucla.edu/~uzi/cgvg/cgvg-1.6.0.tar.gz

I wrote it as a quick hack for my searching through the kernel
code... and as a temporary solution until there's the desire
by many to do a real cscope (yes, I know about "cs"... do you
know it's license? (Look at the packaged manpage)).

--
Joshua Uziel, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 tel, 415.701.7457 fax