Re: [patch-2.3.46-p3] /proc/driver/microcode P6 ucode support

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:00:44 EST

On Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 11:44:10AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > You see, Richard, there is a tiny problem. Many people will _really_ want
> > to configure DEVFS out of their kernels. Procfs is much more conservative
> > wrt dcache...
>
> Procfs adds 90K to the running footprint of my machine, so I want to run it
> as a loadable module using old style /dev when building embedded boxes.
> The real disk /dev is the right answer for small machines along with
> sysctl without proc.

How does one do the following without resorting to /proc?

1) Find what kernel is running (i.e. /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease)

2) Find a machine's free/total memory (i.e. /proc/meminfo)

3) Find what modules are loaded (i.e. /proc/modules)

4) Find what filesystems the kernel supports (i.e. /proc/filesystems)

5) Find what devices are mounted on what filesystem (i.e. /proc/mounts)
    (right now there _is_ no way to find what /dev/root is short of doing
    a stat on "/" and then stating everything in /dev for a matching dev_t,
    or using devfs, or doing what libc does -- believng whatever crap is
    in fstab)

6) How does one find the pid of a process with a particular name
    (think killall) without hunting through all the /proc/%d/cmdline
    entries?

7) How does one implement ps without using /proc?

If I could do these things without /proc, I would be glad to adjust
the user space of my embedded stuff accordingly and save the 90k,

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org