Re: Many daemons

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 12:54:40 EST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Is it reasonable to cook up a single outlet to userspace for device
> state events like power states, attach, detach, etc.?

Not rally.

You probably don't realize just how much the acpid thing does: it parses
the ACPI AML language etc - all quite complex, and all something that I do
not want to do in the kernel due to that complexity.

Maybe there should be some more generic interfaces (ie a generic interface
to user mode to inform people about suspend/resume), but I do not think
there should be complete unification..

                Linus