Re: Kernel developers

From: Aki M Laukkanen (amlaukka@cc.helsinki.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 12:56:15 EST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> There is a full gdoc toolset on gtk.org - its actually not a gnome thing
> as such it came from elsewhere (Im told gdoc is a javadoc variant ?)

I thought I found it:
ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/users/otaylor/gtk-doc.tar.gz

But this seems to be something different. It seems to be a gtk specific
system for extracting structures and function protypes from and creating
DocBook format templates to be filled out manually. This is quite a
simple set of Perl scripts with nothing resembling a syntax
parser. Instead the definitions are found by relying to the naming
conventions of the exported structures and functions. The current
gdk/gtk/glib library documentation seems to have been created in this
way.

After checking the gdoc stuff on GNOME CVS again:
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-libs/devel-docs/gdoc/

This seems to be what you meant. It's a patch to c2man which adds some
support to javadoc/doc++ style tag based commentation for functions. I got
the c2man archive from a debian mirror. It seems that it isn't maintained
anymore by its authors. Another search revealed that Wine project has
adopted it as their documentation system with their own extensions:
http://bugs.winehq.com/cvsweb/c2man/

As is I don't know useful would that tool be. It does not appear to
support any of the other doc++ tags like @return, @see, @author and does
not certainly provide a way to document structures.

While I'm at it here are pointers to some other documentation systems:

http://zeus.imaginator.com/doc++/
 * appears to be maintained even though I stated otherwise earlier.

http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~ssk/kde/kdoc/
 * derived from doc++ for KDE project.

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/javadoc/
 * java only

http://www.bbeesoft.com/
 * commercial offering for Windows (just for reference)

http://jean-luc.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Codes/grdoc/
 * another offering for C/Fortran.

Any more? I think none of these fits our requirements exactly. What
features would be needed and which if any would we use as a basis?

--
D.