Re: OOM datapoint 2.3.45

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 10:31:04 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> >I accidentally oomed my box running Christopher Rolands shmtst, and
> >it started swap looping. I've seen this same looping before, and
>
> Verify shmtst deletes the segments after having attached them so that if
> the task gets killed the memory released as well.
>
> Then you may want to try this patch:
>
> ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.3/2.3.42/oom-2.gz

It worked great Andrea. No matter what I did (even simulating stupid
booboos) the kernel never lost it's teeth. Nor was I able to get it
to loop. I even ran it completely out of vm by intentionally leaking
shm ultil the well ran completely dry. That's not a particularly good
thing to do, but I wanted to see if the kill problem was truely gone.
[besides, what's one more fsck run:]

        -Mike