Re: Congrats to Richard Gooch

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 07:37:34 EST

In <38AB518A.9D61228C@isn.net> Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net) wrote:
> I have followed with some interest the saga of devfs.
> Complete with radical activists vs. Peter's questions of "what's it
> for?"
> Richard's patient explanations, and devoted support with timely patches.
> There is a big time lesson here for people with a strong belief in their
> idea.
> Hat's off to Richard Gooch for his persistance and also to hpa.
> There are many lessons here for contributors.
> Garst
> 46-5

What should be done now is to clean up all stuff. Gooch done everything he
can himself. Now when devfs is part of official kernel it's time to polish
up devfs further. For example situation with ZIP drives does not look right
to me. When there are no zip disk in drive and module is not loaded there are
no /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4 . If I'll put zip disk in driver and
will try to mount it ide-floppy will be loaded and mounted. So far so good. The
bad thing happens when I try to mount zip disk when there are NO zip disk in
drive. Then only /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc is created, not
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4 :-(( So even if I'll put zip disk in
drive I can not mount it :-((

IMO right way to deal with this situation is to add some "rescan" function in
devices. So you can force rescan of attached devices without driver unloading
and loading again. This problem exists there without devfs (if I turn my SCSI
scanner after system reboot I can not use it -- I need to restart system),
devfs just make it more pervasive...