Re: Slow booting

From: Pauline Middelink (middelink@polyware.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 02:43:28 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 16 2000 around 14:27:52 -0800, David Lang wrote:
> Update:
> adding the compact option does solve the problem
>
> I guess the older machines floppy controllers did some caching on the
> controller that is not done on some of the new machines and therefor
> when the code makes all the seperate requests the older controllers are
> able to deliver the data while the newer controllers have to do another
> seek to get the data.

Eh, controllers don't cache data, they don't have the memory for
it, they are just stupid in-between-things which translate
signal levels (at about)

> one interesting sidenote.
> without using the compact option lilo shows "reading kernel
> image........" with several dots appearing as time goes on and data is
> read, with the compact option it only shows a single dot and that only
> when it has read the entire kernel image.

Well, it seems than that a dot is printed between floppy reads and
the compact options made it one big read, hence the one dot.

I must say I find that strange, because you can only get atmost
9 sectors or you will run of the side of the floppy! :)
So I would expect atleast some 33 dots, each for the 350/9
tracks the kernel occupies.

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink