Re: Of removable devices

From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH (allbery@kf8nh.apk.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 20:37:15 EST

In message <88f0hb$gau@pell.pell.portland.or.us>, david parsons writes:
+-----
| In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10002161324530.13707-100000@weyl.math.
| psu.edu>,
| Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
| >On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, David Balazic wrote:
| >> it would mount as another logical volume. Now when there was a need to
| >> access
| >> the first floppy, the OS popped up a dialog ( a requester, in amiga
| >> terminology :-)
| >> saying "Insert volume Linux_help_disk into any drive". When the user
| >
| >Ahem... OK, does anyone else see something strange in words "OS popped up
| >a dialog"?
|
| On a real operating system, the OS would simply notify userland, which
| would do whatever it wanted to do. A sensible userland might then
+--->8

Solaris manages to do this quite well without any weird interactions between
kernel and userspace: vold keeps track and notifies a listener which pops
up the dialog if you're running X. If you aren't, you get a text message
instead.

Seriously, find a Solaris box and look at vold and rmmount. They're not
perfect, but they don't suck all that badly either.

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu