Re: Of removable devices

From: Jason L Tibbitts III (tibbs@math.uh.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:58:21 EST

AV> Wonderful. And how frequent the polling was?

Once per second. On earlier models it alternated the step direction, so
you could hear the drives clicking constantly. Eventually drives started
using optical instead of mechanical head stops, so you could run a utility
that made the OS just step the head outward constantly. I recall that it
was known as "noclick".

AV> Ahem... OK, does anyone else see something strange in words "OS popped
AV> up a dialog"?

If you come from a world where the window system is a shell over something
else, then it would be strange. To an Amiga or Mac user it is perfectly
natural. If only Linux had such a well-integrated system of alerting the
user that they needed to insert media.

Disk insertions were an interface event on the Amiga, so a requester asking
you to insert a disk would go away automatically (no need to click) when
you inserted the appropriate disk.

 - J<