Re: Firewall packet logging question?

From: iafilius@xs4all.nl
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:23:20 EST

Hello Mike,

> Does the current kernel (2.2.x) have any provisions for logging
> or capturing the ENTIRE IP packet which matches a particular
> ipchains rule?

> What I'd like to do is capture every packet that matches certain
> rules, and have some way of identifying each raw packet with the
> log entry in syslog to which it was captured.
<snip>

Had a look on netfilter ? I think not, it covers the items you asked.
It's in 2.3.xx kernels (note many network driver changes are going on at
this moment)

Have a look at: http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/

PS, ever looked at the load of the system when ipchains+logging are used,
and "someone" attacks your machine at 100Mb speed ?
(kernel has no problem,syslog does, and netfilter can handle this problem
as well)

Greatings,

Arjan Filius
mailto:iafilius@xs4all.nl