Re: Of removable devices

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:12:17 EST

On Wed Feb 16, 2000 at 09:01:49AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Dominik Kubla wrote:
> > First: There is something called vold (SUN haters please keep quiet)
> > for Linux too for management of removable media. No need to
> > patch the kernel as far as i know (i don't use this stuff).
>
> I like the Sun method... at least a lot better than supermount. :)
>
> CD insert -> automount
> CD eject -> command "eject cd"

To get the CD insert and CD eject events though, you have to poll the hardware
every second just like Microsoft does, since nobody has ever created a CDROM
drive supporting async event notification (though the Mt. Fuji spec lists async
notification as an option). If folks are willing to live with polling...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org