Re: Of removable devices

From: Francis GALIEGUE (francis@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 06:57:17 EST

"Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:

First, sorry for yelling earlier. I'm conscious of problems with PC
floppies. Calling block_fsync() regulary is not even a solution, I'm
aware of this as well - too much overhead for not so much. But a
newbie is not as stupid to eject a floppy when he sees the LED is on
(well, at least I hope so :)

> Yes, this all can be changed. You will need "just" rewrite half of
> VFS layer to do it. Current VFS implementation does not allow sane
> supermount. Yes, you can cook up something (it was even done). It'll
> work sometimes. But it'll ruin floppies from time to time. MS DOS
> doing it, Windows doing it (there are no easy way to check if
> filesystem is clean and you can eject floppy safely -- I've ruined
> my floppies pretty often on old days when I've used them) but WHY
> THE HELL Linux should do this is well ?

I don't want Linux to thrash floppies... The media thrashes itself
more easily than Linux does... And I know that the MS_SYNCHRONOUS
option only works for ext2 for now, whereas most floppies are FAT...

The big problem is that mounting/unmounting is not possible if the
mount point is currently being busy. With the current VFS
implementation, the superblock pointer in a dentry cannot be changed
if the dentry is in use. So yes, you're right, it requires that half,
if not more, of the VFS be rewritten :( I'll have a deeper look at all
this to identify all possible problems.

kfm has no problem with automount (unlike MC) because it reads a
directory but does not chdir() to it, so yes, kfm, unlike MC, will
allow the "click icon/remove media (after timeout)/click refresh"
cycle. But kfm is only one application among thousands.

--
fg

# rm *;o o: command not found