[2.2.14] (new)tulip can't see arp replies. [When built as module]

From: Roger Gammans (roger@computer-surgery.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 04:58:13 EST

Hi

I changed the NIC in my machine today, as it lockoed like the
existig one had failed overnight.

(Machine locked, and when it came back up the kernel reported the
NIC, had MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Hmm)

I grab a spare NIC which happen to be a PNIC tulip clone
and built a module with the new tulip driver.

This module installed fine _but_ couldn't ping anything, even
though tcpdump showed the general traffic on the network.
(Fine means no errors from ifconfig etc, following kernel massages
on install:
Feb 16 09:10:53 knuth kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Feb 16 09:10:53 knuth kernel: eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 17 at 0xe800, 00:A0:CC:2E:4C:83, IRQ 11.
)

I rebuilt an old_tuilp driver and this seems to work correctly.
eg. ping etc, works following mesasges on install:-
Feb 16 09:28:48 knuth kernel: tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Feb 16 09:28:48 knuth kernel: eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0xe800, 00 a0 cc 2e 4c 83, IRQ 11.

This is against vanilla 2.2.14, and I note there are some fixes
in 2.2.14preX for tulip.

I've attached the original .config for my kernel. Let me know if
you need me to do anything more.

I built the modules by re-configing the kernel to do add this
as modules, then just did make modules, without make dep, and
hoped there were no changed dependcies, as I've had trouble with
MODVERSIONs in this case before.

TTFN

--
Roger