Re: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 03:59:52 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >
> > > This device should only be used if the BIOS is old/substandard.
> >
> > A realworld example for you. My GA 6BXD motherboard at home has the
> > (reasonably) latest BIOS and it even tells on boot that it patched both
> > CPUs to revision=7 microcode. Yet with my thing I patched it to
> > revision=14.
> >

> As I said... old or substandard. Sounds like the latter case. The BIOS
> manufacturer has been sloppy.

Nah. The user should use the intel/bios manufacturer tool to tell the
BIOS that there is a new microcode image. There is an API call to give
the BIOS a new microcode, which it will subsequently download to the
CPU on the next boot.

Hey, the nasty thing is that we will continue to report the old mask
level, as the "what's this CPU" stuff is only done at boot time right?

                        Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********