Re: DSL Modem?

From: Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@ualberta.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 00:16:09 EST

On 15 Feb 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > it doesn't matter if the DSL connection is internal or external, it is
> > still a router. If it is internal it just is a router on a card.

> No, some of them are point-to-point connections, like you would have
> for a T1 or PPP for example. This does, indeed, save you one IP
> address (not two.)

I always thought the DSL devices were ethernet bridges (in effect) - and
didn't really speak much IP. Mine here certainly acts like it, I see
ethernet broadcasts from all over (even IPX stuff). The real router sits
at the other end. My cable modem used to do that too, but they upgraded
the firmware and now filter all that junk out..

Jason