Y2K bug found in Linux kernel 2.2.12 (Red Hat 6.1)

From: Jay Ts (jay@jayts.cx)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 20:21:27 EST

[I'm not subscribed to this list - please CC to me, jay@jayts.cx]

Well, as far as I can tell from some searches on the net, no one
else has reported this yet, so here goes...

I have recently had two of my 3 Linux systems affected by an apparent
y2k bug in the Linux kernel, version 2.2.12. The affected systems, a
Pentium and a 486, are both running Red Hat 6.1. The third is a
Windows/Linux dual-boot, and has been running Windows a lot and gets
rebooted into Linux frequently (so I wouldn't expect it to show the
bug - see below for the explanation).

The first thing I noticed was that a cron job that is scheduled to
run weeknights (M-F) at 8pm ran at about 7:45am on Sunday, February 13.
(A nice lucky number. ;)

Here is the header from the email I received from the script that
cron runs. It is a program that collects stock quotes from the net
and then sends me a report by email on the same system: