Re: SCSI errors while playing music and doing a tape backup

From: William M. Perkins (bill@redwood.grnwood.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 19:49:11 EST

Stephen Landamore writes....

> William M. Perkins wrote:
> << Stuff deleted >>
>
> I suspect libsvga is doing some bad magic (though why on earth it
> would mess with my SCSI subsystem is quite beyond me). I think I need
> to configure libsvga, but I'm not sure how (/etc/vgalib?) or else I
> need to recompile libsvga with some debug info enabled...
>
> Does your dump program use libsvga?

No, it only requires stdin/stdout to display output/accept input.

> For the record I also have similar hardware: a diamond fireport 40
> scsi controller (ncr53c875 based) and a yamaha crw6416s cdrom drive.
> The Yamaha is quite a new addition...

Both of the SCSI controllers I am using are from Diamond and use
ncr53c875 chips. I have never had trouble with either of them in
the past.

> If I figure it out, I'll let you know, but of course if anyone can
> say 'ah ha! it's XYZ' then that would save me a lot of work :-)

I am re-testing the situation. I have rebooted the system and am
now playing a copy of Jean-Luc Ponty's "A Taste For Passion" from
CD while doing a dump backup/verify to tape. No errors so far. The
CD I was playing before was "Abba Gold Greatest Hits" when I received
the SCSI errors. Maybe my system does not like Abba for some reason.
  :-)

> regards,
> stephen

Cheers!

Bill

--
William M. Perkins                   E-mail - wmp@grnwood.net
The Greenwood                        UNIX Systems Administration