Process stuck in D state while locking in NFS

From: Miklos Szeredi (Miklos.Szeredi@eth.ericsson.se)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:01:14 EST

Hi!

I got an unkillable process:

 FLAGS UID PID PPID PRI NI SIZE RSS WCHAN STA TTY TIME COMMAND
  8000 10348 2486 1 0 0 3808 2244 rpc_execute D ? 0:00 ./gkeeper

It was probably stuck while trying to get a read-lock (which was
certainly free) on an NFS volume mounted from a Solaris server.

The load average is now constantly above 1.0 but otherwise the system
is working perfectly. The lock can even be acquired if the program is
started again.

This is not reproducible, but I remember experiencing similar
strangeness, which I didn't investigate at the time.

Is there a rational explanation?

Thanks,
Miklos

Kernel is stock 2.2.14.