Re: What is Lineo doing?

From: Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 18:13:31 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> I would assume that Caldera Lineo are including a large pile of proprietary
> tools with their software. The GPL means they cant forbid you from
> redistributing GPL code but they can license their own packages how they like
> and also lock up any BSD license packages they ship.

To wrap up this thread, I heard from someone at Lineo who clarified this is
what they are doing (they didn't mention BSD packages, but I'd guess you are
right about this). There is nothing all that unusual about this. Others have
done the same thing.

My concern was based on the ambigious (and arguably deceptive) "not for
resale" wording of their press release, which could be interpreted as claiming
that the entire contents of the Embedix CD was "not for resale," not just the
non-GPL componenets. Especially because I suspect that the kernel itself is
the bulk of what (if not the only component) one would really want to resell
in an embedded context.