Re: 2.3.40 (SMP) random lockups

From: Jason A . Fager (jafager@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 16:25:51 EST

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 07:37:46AM +0100, Jarek Luberek wrote:

> Experienced two lockups within say 12 hours running
> CivCTP and xmms. I wasn't even near the computer when
> the lockup with xmms occurred (wakes me up in the morning :).

I've done that before -- it's much less intrusive than an alarm,
and no commercials <g>.

But seriously, I'm seeing the same problem with xmms (don't have
CTP, so I can't speak to that). I switched to mpg123 and the
problem went away. The lockups seem to be partly random and partly
repeatable (i.e., certain songs/albums crash it right away, if I
set it on random it runs for up to an hour or so before it dies).

I have a SMP system on a Tyan motherboard with an ES1371 audio
controller. I went from 2.3.31 to 2.3.39 to 2.3.40 trying to
fix a fs problem; it's entirely possible that the crashes
started with 2.3.40, since it just started within the last week or
two.

> Tried Alt-SysRQ-<K,U,....> and so on. I didn't help.
> This PC is not networked so I could not verify that
> this is not graphics card related although I've tried
> most of the 2.3.20-2.3.40 (all of 2.3.30-2.3.40)
> without any problems (until now). I think the nvidia
> drivers are quite stable, here at least.

I can get it to reboot cleanly with an alt-sysrq-k,u,b
but I can't get a console back. If I switch it to
another VC with shift-alt-F1 or alt-F1, the monitor loses
signal and won't come back (but the magic sysrq works,
though you can't see the results). I have a matrox g200
with the frame buffer compiled in and running.

> Patch-2.3.40 contains updates to the ensoniq-1371 driver,
> maybe that's the problem.

Will have to look into this...haven't had time to fix it
properly, as I'm drowning in school work at the moment.
I know that upgrading to XMMS 1.0.0 didn't work (haven't
tried 1.0.1 yet).

jafager

--

"Beware, and live. Live and pray to your weak god that you are destroyed in the first shock of the Great Rising. It were not well that you live to reap Cthulhu's wrath!" -- Brian Lumley, "The Fairground Horror"