Re: 2.3.42 alpha updates

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 15:01:15 EST

Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 08:42:15PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > It seems that the Alpha port still calls schedule() during tlb flush
> > operations. Could you please remove the pointer_lock() from
> > smp_call_function()? Just replace it with a simple spin_lock() or
> > spin_lock_bh().
>
> Actually, just replace the schedule with a barrier. Using a
> spinlock would require extra storage, which would be wasteful.

So you saved 4 bytes. What about saving 20+ lines and killing
pointer_lock?

SMP development is difficult enough, and I prefer if everyone uses a few
primitives (semphore, spinlock, rw_sem, rw_lock) instead of special
functions.

And if you use spin_lock_bh(), then we would allow smp_call_function()
from bottom half handlers - might be important for hardware drivers.
i386 allows that.

--
	Manfred