RE: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 10:46:06 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Markley, Todd wrote:

> Dick:
[SNIPPED...]
> Would it be possible to add a code to setup.S that would allow
> me to recover control of the CPU? Maybe set some hardware timer that would
> force an interrupt after X seconds, call the debugging routine, that
> saves the state of the CPU and drops into a simple monitor? Another
> idea I had would involve adding a hardware card that could provide
> the monitor function in BIOS code, (but that would be a big project),
> (I wonder if any vender sells something like this?). The only other way
> to debug this is to wander around the source code looking for anthing that
> may affect this problem, modify it, and test. This method will take forever!
> I would also need to be much more intimate with the Intel architecture to be
> any good at this so add a big learning curve. (I think I will shop for a

I would suggest that, since you already know that the machine hangs when
it's doing something to the video, yet it boots on other machines, you
swap your video card.

There is a place in video.S, line 758, where the contents of the
screen regen buffer are saved, then restored. You can comment out
both the save and restore _calls_ in earlier code. Just use a '#'
character to comment out the call. This will eliminate the possibility
that somebody is copying screen-data over something important.

The code is "strange" in several places where data are just written
to some numbered offset (gawd). This makes proper data allocation very
difficult to confirm.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).