[patch] keyboard-2.3.42-A0

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 09:02:06 EST

2.3.41 broke my keyboard, the reason is the less forgiving nature of
dealing with keyboard errors. The attached patch makes send_data() a bit
more patient, until the reason for the errors is found.

it seems a couple of keyboard commands at bootup fail on my box - this
magically gets fixed later on. (something times out? is my box too fast?)

prior to 2.3.41 i was getting such timeouts:

 Keyboard timeout[2]
 Keyboard timeout[2]

two very different systems show this failure mode. Both have keyboards
connected over the PS2 port. One is a true PS2 keyboard, the other one is
an old-style one converted with a PS2 converter cable. Basically the only
similarity in those systems is that both are SMP systems, use the PS2 port
and are rather fast. (and run similar kernel .config-s.) No USB enabled in
the kernel.

i happen to have logs which shows 2.3.30 showing the same boot-time
keyboard timeout. Nevertheless i have another 2.3.30 log which shows no
such timeout. Unfortunately i was working on many patches at once so it's
not clear what kind of 2.3.30 kernel it was. Neither do i have all
historic logs so it's not clear wether prior kernels ever have shown this
problem. (but 2.3.30-ish appears to be the first occasion from the logs i
have)

let me know if there is any patch or other debugging suggestion i should
try.

-- mingo