Re: stuck on TLB IPI wiat

From: Mike Ricketts (mike@oxlug.org)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 19:46:14 EST

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Mike Ricketts wrote:
> >
> > Recently I have been seeing a lot of "stuck in TLB IPI wait (CPU#1)"
> > messages from my kernel.
> Which kernel are you using?

I've seen it with most 2.3 kernels up to 40. 2.3.40 was
particularly bad. However, 2.3.42 seems to be free of them (as user has
just discovered that perl dumps core when it uses more than a Gig of swap.
This on a box with 128Mb of RAM. Ouch.)

> > What does this mean?
>
> It means that inter processor interrupts got lost.

Ah, thanks.

> > Should I be worried that
> > my hardware is dead/dying or is it more likely to be a software problem?
> >
> It's more likely to be a hardware problem.

Bugger. I was affraid it might.

--
Mike Ricketts <mike@oxlug.org>

"Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt.